THE VURNIK STUDENT AWARD
Centre for Architecture Slovenia, Municipality of Radovljica, Local Community of Radovljica, Faculty of Architecture of the University of Ljubljana, and the Faculty of Civil Engineering, Transportation Engineering and Architecture of the University of Maribor established the Vurnik Student Award for the most promising student of architecture or urbanism in 2018, to mark the 100th anniversary of higher education in architecture in Slovenia, which was organised at the initiative of the architect Ivan Vurnik.
The Vurnik Student Award is awarded to 4th and 5th year students of the Long-cycle Master’s Study Programme, Master’s Degree candidates, or 1st and 2nd year students of the Second-Cycle Master’s Study Programmes in Architecture or Urbanism. The Vurnik Student Award and two equivalent honorary prizes will be awarded to the students of the Faculty of Architecture of the University of Ljubljana and the study programme in Architecture at the Faculty of Civil Engineering, Transportation Engineering and Architecture of the University of Maribor.
This award is both honorary and monetary (1,500 EUR net for the first-prize winner) and is intended for the winner to go on a study trip. The recipient of the Vurnik Student Award will give a presentation with impressions from the trip during the next Vurnik Days. Two honorary prizes with a value of 300 EUR net are also awarded, which do not impose obligations on the recipients.
INVITATION TO STUDENTS TO SUBMIT AN ENTRY
FOR THE VURNIK STUDENT AWARD 2020
The students should prepare:
A personal portfolio (A4 format, max. 50 pages and not more than 15 projects)
- a short description of each project in both Slovenian and English
- the applicant’s Master’s Thesis should not be included in the portfolio
- the applicants should submit both a printed version and a digital version in PDF format (on a CD or USB drive)
An original essay on architecture and/or urbanism (recommended number of characters without spaces: 7000‒10,000; in Slovenian and English)
- the applicants should clearly indicate one or more passages of the essay that the applicant wishes to highlight in the catalogue. All passages must not exceed 2500 characters (with spaces).
- the applicants should submit only a digital version in DOC and PDF format (on a CD or USB drive)
Submissions must arrive by registered mail to the main office of Centre for Architecture Slovenia, Rimska cesta 1, SI-1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia, by Monday, 4 May 2020 at 00:00 at the latest marked “NE ODPIRAJ – VURNIKOVA ŠTUDENTSKA NAGRADA”.
On Monday, 4 May 2020, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., the submission may be entered in person as well.
The envelope should contain:
– A4 page contact information (name, address, phone number, e-mail address)
– personal portfolio (digital version – CD or USB key)
– original essay (digital version – CD or USB key)
The award recipients will be announced at the awarding ceremony on the birthday of the architect Ivan Vurnik, on Monday, 1 June 2019 at 8 p.m., in the Baroque Hall in Radovljica.
All Vurnik Student Award nominees will be invited to the awarding ceremony.
The recipients of the main prize and two equivalent honorary prizes will be selected by the Expert Panel consisting of:
– architect and critic/reviewer Andrej Strehovec, Management Board of Association of Novi Sad Architects, Slovenia
– architect Rok Plohl, Slovenia
– architect and associate professor Mia Roth Čerina, roth&čerina arhitects, Croatia
The jury will reach the decision about the awarded works based on the following criteria:
- quality of the selected projects presented
- uniqueness of the selected projects presented
- innovation of the selected projects presented
- essay quality
- contribution to reflections on architecture/urbanism in the essay
Vurnikova študentska nagrada je kot priznanje za perspektivnega študenta arhitekture bila ustanovljena na pobudo Centra arhitekture Slovenije ob skorajšnji stoletnici ustanovitve oddelka za arhitekturo na Tehnični fakulteti v Ljubljani za katerega je bil zaslužen arhitekt Ivan Vurnik (1884-1971), leta 2018. Nagrada, ki so jo tako idejno kot finančno podprli Krajevna skupnost Radovljica, Občina Radovljica, Fakulteta za arhitekturo Univerze v Ljubljani in Fakulteta za gradbeništvo, prometno inženirstvo in arhitekturo Univerze v Mariboru, je častna in finančna.